Saturday, August 11, 2012

CPR Certification

Yesterday at work, I got a very helpful tip from a patient at my dental office who just so happens to be a new nurse himself.  He's almost through with his first year of working as a nurse, and he told me that he seemed to start to get calls for interviews after he put his CPR certification on his resume.  So, today, I take a look at my CPR card and realized I was certified in August 2010, therefore expiring this month!  I went into a panic because I wasn't sure if I was already expired or if I had until the end of the month.

So, I go to my hospital's education portal, and see that the next CPR class isn't until the end of the month.  Even though it would be free through the hospital, I didn't want to wait that long!  So, I wet to several of the villages fire departments around here, since I went through Schaumburg last time.  But I had already missed all of them. 

Then, I went to the American Heart Associations' website to see if that could help me find other classes in the area.  I discovered you can do the classroom part online, and then scheduled a skills session at a recognized facility.  Then I realized it would cost me $22 for the class, then $48 for the skills session.  And this just seemed insane compared to how cheap it is elsewhere.

Next, I search for more regular classes, and found one at Edwards hospital in Naperville.  This was not a horrible drive, and it was decently priced, so I went for it.  Well, they told me I was actually expired as of August, and so I could only do the full certification class rather than the renewal.  And the soonest I could schedule was the 25th.  So, I went ahead and did it, and paid the fee or the class.  Of course, then I panicked because I realized I may not be able to get off of work since its on a Saturday, and a couple of the people who could cover for me would not be available, and I realized, if I can wait til the 25th, why not just wait a few days and do the one that is FREE at my work?

Of course, when I go back to the education portal, I then realize that the class is full.  REALLY?!?!

So....I did more searching.  I returned to a company that is based in the city.  I initially disregarded them in my first search because I didn't want to drive to the city.  However, I realized they were way more flexible with class times, and that one of their locations was actually not really too awful of a drive.  I gave them a call just to double check that registration really wasn't necessary, and they said as long as you are on time, you can get into any of the class times!  As a bonus, they also told me that I had the WHOLE month of August to renew, and that I wasn't expired yet.  This definitely made me feel better, because I was felt sick that I didn't start getting this together sooner!

So, then I had to cancel the class at the hospital in Naperville.  I felt really bad, because the lady that scheduled me gave me very thorough directions on how to get to the class, not just how to get to the hospital.  I was impressed.  Anyway, they were able to refund me the cost of the class, and all is right in the world.

In the end, this was FAR MORE of an anxiety-inducing cluster-fuck than it should have been.  It didn't help that I was at work trying to work through this, and getting interrupted in my planning was frustrating! lol Anyway, had I just taken a look at my card a month ago, I could have already had this planned out.  But no.  I didn't do that because I have been so busy with so many other things.  I am planning to go to the class on Thursday to update my CPR certification.  I will also probably look into using this same company again when I am ready to get my ACLS certification, and some other certifications I am interested in.  This company actually came to my school for my CPR certification for my CNA class, so I am feeling pretty comfortable using them.

In good news, tonight, Mike and I are dining on some yummy Wildfire, and going to a movie!  Just a simple dinner and a movie date night!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment